12/3/16 - DaDecBloPoMo day 3 - #keepDawnweird - My favorite poet

I don't "get" a lot of poetry.  I think modern poetry is just a bunch of words that they call poetry.  I haven't read a lot of poetry so that is just my sideline call of it.  I haven't written any poetry because it would come out like this...

Roses are red,
That's what he said,
Violets are blue,
Just like your shoe.

I'll let the writing of poetry stay with those that know what they're doing.  At least until after I finish this book.

Robert Frost is my favorite poet.  I've got a book of his poetry and I've actually read most of them.  My favorite, by far, is Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening.

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening 
By Robert Frost 
       
Whose woods these are I think I know.   
His house is in the village though;   
He will not see me stopping here   
To watch his woods fill up with snow.   

My little horse must think it queer   
To stop without a farmhouse near   
Between the woods and frozen lake   
The darkest evening of the year.   

He gives his harness bells a shake   
To ask if there is some mistake.   
The only other sound’s the sweep   
Of easy wind and downy flake.   

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   
But I have promises to keep,   
And miles to go before I sleep,   
And miles to go before I sleep.

Robert Frost, “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening” from The Poetry of Robert Frost, edited by Edward Connery Lathem. Copyright 1923, © 1969 by Henry Holt and Company, Inc., renewed 1951, by Robert Frost. Reprinted with the permission of Henry Holt and Company, LLC.
 
Can't you imagine being there?  Hearing the sound of the snow as it's falling?  I love the image that it brings to my mind.
 
Writing prompt for 12/4/16...
 
Write a poem (hopefully not like mine)
 
or
 
Post a poem from your favorite author
 
Don't forget to link back to me.  Grab the DaDecBloPoMo for your site.  And as always remember the hashtag #keepDawnweird.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2/2/2022 - Tips before your spouse dies

Here are some tips that I've learned with the death of my husband. Have your own credit cards. If you have individual credit cards you w...