1/4/17 - "God won't put on you more than you can bear"

You've heard it.  You may have even said it. "God won't put on you more than you can bear."  In a trial, or pain, or a burden, or things breaking, or bad things piling up we can be comforted in the thought that God will only put on us what we can bear.  HOGWASH!

It's a sentiment that isn't Biblical.  It sounds like it is, but it isn't.  No where in the Bible does it say that.  There is some dialog that Paul writes to the Corinthians:   I Corinthians 10:13, “No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be TEMPTED beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted he will also provide a way out so you can stand up under it.”  But it isn't the same.

Being tempted and being under a burden of something wrong are two different things.  We've all been tempted, and if we didn't succumb to the temptation, there was a way out. 

James writes:   “When tempted, no one should say, ‘God is tempting me.’ For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone.” (James 1:13)

God won't tempt us but if we are tempted there is always a way out.

That brings us back to our burdens that we feel we can't bear.  Where is God?  When everything is going wrong in our life, where is God?  When we've paid our bills and our car breaks down, where is God?  When we are grieving the death of a loved one, where is God?  When we live a life of complete pain, where is God?  When we are depressed, where is God?  When your hedge of protection has been trampled, where is God?

Where indeed?!

I have a lot of questions.  I know what the answer is, God, but most of the time it is hard to turn every burden you have over to Him.  If He loves us so much, why are we suffering?  If we are a Christian, I don't understand why any of this has to happen.

I guess I have more questions than answers.  I see the suffering of Job, of Paul and especially Jesus and wonder why.  I know Jesus' suffering had a purpose and that purpose was to die for our sins, but why? 

Why?

I love y'all.  I know you have questions too.  I'm sorry I didn't have more answers.

until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2/2/2022 - Tips before your spouse dies

Here are some tips that I've learned with the death of my husband. Have your own credit cards. If you have individual credit cards you w...